Friday, August 18, 2017

Love-Hate Limb Relationship

Does anyone else hate their legs sometime? Or maybe their arms?
Daily, sometimes even hourly I fall in love with my hands-if they let me go on a writing spree, letting me write out my mind.  Yet as fast as that feeling appeared it can disappear and hate can rise as I won't be able to finish what I was writing due to my arm losing sensation, or rising pain I can't block out or control. It feels like your body turns on you without letting you know. There is no memo from my brain saying, I've had enough and need a break from doing my job. BTW brain-that would be super appreciated. Just give me like a 30-minute heads up so I can cancel the rest of my day and not get to the tennis club and then have to cancel practice. Then sometimes I wake up and shake my arms and legs and smile "It feels like a good day-lets hope it lasts." It is always this play on optimism and realism where you want to hope for the best and achieve as much as possible from the never ending to do list, but also don't want to push past that imaginary line that will flip into paralyzing pain. Which leads to a lack of trust in your body and limbs. Many people ask why do I use my wheelchair when I have the ability to walk, which is true. Although I am not always in control of that and how my body works and responds.It is a complicated relationship full of give and take, love and hate relationship with my limbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment